Thursday, October 20, 2011

Lesson 4 Journal Entry #2

*Which of the suggested Tasks from Writing Arguments did you find most helpful in pre-writing your revision? Why?
I had two tasks that helped me tremendously. They were the freewriting and idea mapping. I find that freewriting helps me get everything in my mind out and then I follow-up with the idea
mapping to organize what I did in the freewriting.
*Which genre of argument would you most likely write on your own? Why?
I think that speeches would be the argument that I would most likely like to write on my own. I like to write things that motivate. Especially on things that I feel strongly about.
*Did you ask anyone else to make recommendations about your revising process? Why or why not?
I asked my husband many questions during my writing process when I didn't quite get what I was supposed to be doing. Asking him and also asking my instructor some questions helped me get through and finish my argument.
*Why and how is argument both a process and a product? What is the goal of argument?
It takes many steps to produce a good argument. In order to argue, you need to know what you are arguing about. You also need to put it into a very organized order to get your audience to understand it. Once you achieve that, your argument can catch the attention of your audience and can also sway their way of thinking toward your view. I think that the goal of argument is to present a concise and understandable opinion that can change a view or views of whoever is reading it and cause a change.
*How did previewing sections of a book (rather than simply reading them) help you to understand the material?
It helped me know what to expect and what sections I will need to focus on. It also helped me ask myself questions while I read the section after I previewed it so I can better understand the material.
*Whose blog did you read and leave a comment on? Summarize what you wrote.
I posted on Jeff Bowen's blog. http://jeffbowen-english.blogspot.com/
He talked about the protesting being done at military funerals. I wrote that I too find that upsetting and how I wish that soldiers' families could be left to grieve in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment