Saturday, November 12, 2011

Lesson 11 Journal Entry

* On your blog, write about your experience summarizing the reading.

My experience in summarizing was a little difficult. It was mostly due to the constant interruptions that have kept my mind from focusing, but I did find it a little difficult to find source articles that I was not going to use. When doing my initial search for sources, I did not find any that I was not going to use by the time I had finished my assignment for Lesson 9, so I had to find sources that were not going to work for my research. I found this also hard to do because all the sources I was finding offered so much information that I could use in my paper. The going through and finding what information I was not going to use and then finding the right articles to do in order to complete the assignment was the most difficult. When I started actually doing the summarizing once I found the sources, it became easier. I used the list of questions to use for annotation in Hacker and used that to get the basis of the summaries of each article. I also used the journalist questions to pinpoint in detail information in the article that was important. The evaluation paragraph at the end, I had to look back in Lesson 3 for and just followed the example written and substituted what I needed to coincide with the three articles. I wish I could have found two longer than three page articles so I would only have to do two summaries, but alas, it was not possible. Hopefully, my summaries are concise and do the job of explaining what I read in each article. I went back through each summary to edit and make sure that I did not quote or take anything directly from the sources, but just paraphrased. I also made sure I cited all the sources in my summary to make sure I gave credit where it was due. I was actually curious about my second article on how to do this because it is a wikipedia source and it took the information off of two articles, one which I had used for my bibliography. Since I was supposed to use one that I didn't use for Lesson 9, I was confused because technically I am using a wikipedia source but I did cite the two articles because wikipedia stated information gathered from them.  Hopefully this still falls into the instructions for this lesson.

1 comment:

  1. I did not ask you to find source articles that you were NOT going to use. I only asked you to find sources that you had not already decided to use--ones that you might have rejected before because you thought they were too long or too difficult to read.
    ANy articles listed in Wikipedia are primary sources, I hope. They would be good sources for use in your work instead of the summary Wiki creates from those sources.

    ReplyDelete